The Victoria Philharmonic Choir is an auditioned, multi-generational ensemble of 80 voices, directed by Peter Butterfield. Mr. Butterfield’s skill in vocal training and his joyful and exacting leadership style continue to shape VPC into a choir that is at home in a wide-ranging repertoire, from the Renaissance to the twenty-first century.
SummerVoices 2016 Sunday June 26 – Thursday June 30
St. Mary the Virgin Church, Oak Bay
Immerse yourself in the glories of two baroque settings of Magnificat, in our 3rd SummerVoices Adult Choral Workshop led by Peter Butterfield. The text of Magnificat (also known as the Song of Mary) has inspired countless composers, including J.S. Bach and Giovanni Pergolesi. The workshop also includes group and individual coaching by guest clinicians Sarah Fryer and Gary Relyea, skilled and supportive voice teachers who have been featured soloists with top international orchestras and opera houses. Learning and fun are guaranteed! Cost: $200 for full program (2.30 pm – 9.30 with break for dinner) $150 for evenings only (7.00 – 9.30) Student bursaries may be available. Fees include music, performances with orchestra for family and friends at 5.30 & 7.30 pm on June 30 (entry by donation) and a closing reception.
SummerVoices 2015 participants said:
- I am amazed at the inspiring way Peter teaches, I never felt as a learner that I "can't " do anything he expects as part of the production at the end of it all.
- Sessions with Sarah were brilliant! She is incredibly encouraging and supportive.
- The lessons with Gary were the first I've ever had with a bass. He made me feel very secure in my low register.
- It was another musical challenge that proved I could/can achieve results beyond my personal expectations of myself.
- I love every activity the VPC organizes. It is a wonderful group, with special people.